What helps a child with constipation?
Kids are more prone to have constipation. Following are some main reasons:
• Insufficient bowel movements or less than 3 bowel movements (BMs) in a week
• When trying to avoid having bowel movements or going for poop
• A problem in having a proper bowel movement
• Painful, dry or hard stool, and strangely long
• Constipation is a very general health issue among kids. It normally isn't a reason for attention. It can be prevented with healthy eating and regular practice of some common exercises.
What Are the Indications or Symptoms of Constipation?
Every child is different from the other. So they have different bathroom manners. Constipation does not significantly harm a child who doesn't have a bowel movement every day. One child might have three bowel movements each day, while another may have no bowel movement a day or have one bowel movement every 1–2 days.
Usually, symptoms of constipation in kids cover:
• Abdominal pain or pain near belly button
• Vomiting, nausea and low appetite
• Frequent urination, Urinary Tract Infections
• Less going to the bathroom for releasing stool
• Sensing discomfort or pain while doing a stool
• Feeling windy (bloated) or filled
• Trying to discharge stool
• Noticing light bleeding while doing poop
• In constipation, it is normal for kids to sometimes spot their undergarments with a speck of poop.
How does constipation happen?
Constipation causes due to some unhealthy diet or improper diet that doesn't incorporate sufficient water and fiber, which stimulate the bowels to act in a usual and natural way. Children who consume much of prepared foods, white bread, cheeses, bagels, meats may become constipated frequently.
In some cases, children having medicines like iron supplement pills or tonics, cold relieve medicines, antidepressants drugs can give root to constipation. Constipation can occur in infants because of their migration from breast milk to formula milk, or from moving semi-solid food to thick food. Constipation can also occur in children who are well-toilet trained, particularly if they're not willing to poop.
In most cases, children avoid going for discharging poop, even if they actually have the feeling to do poop. They sometimes neglect physical desire to go to the bathroom if they are in some other place or avoid using some other washroom other than their own house's restroom. They may even quit playing or performing other physical activities or might hesitate to ask to go to the bathroom in front of others. Neglecting the will to poop makes it more difficult to do later.
Stress is one of the main reasons for children's constipation. You may get puzzled and must have questioning yourself that how is it possible for a child to feel stressed. Children can easily become stressed in several ways like anxiety, tiredness staying angry, feeling fear or nervousness, unfulfilled of demand for unwanted things, problems in family and many more reasons can lead a child constipated. Studies have proved that sentimental disturbances can affect the well functioning of the digestive system and can produce constipation and other infirmities, like diarrhea and vomiting.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is another crucial reason for constipation in kids. IBS can occur when children are disturbed or consume some stimulate foods, which usually are oily or peppery. A kid with IBS may have constipation or loose bowels symptoms, as well as abdominal bloating and discomfort.
In some exceptional states, constipation is a warning of other additional medical disorders. So it is better to consult your doctor if your baby or kid persists to have difficulties or if constipation issues remain for more than 2 weeks.
How can I prevent my child from getting constipated?
Following is the common yet powerful prevention method to treat constipation in children:
1. Encourage your child to have plenty of fluids.
Taking adequate liquid and other fluids aid poop to remove more simply and smoothly through the bowels or intestines. The number of glasses of water kids requires will differ according to their age and weight. But most young children, especially school going kids must take somewhat 3 to 5 drinks of water every day. During a time of your baby's constipation, if you moving your baby from breast milk to formula milk or to semi-solid foods, attempt giving simply several ounces say (3–4) of pear and apple water or juice every day. And if constipation continues or bothers your baby, some health problem could be the reason, you must consult your baby's pediatrician without any delay.
2. Give fiber foods.
There are a number of high-fiber foods that can effectively work to prevent constipation in children such as vegetables, fruits, oat meals and cereals or whole-grain meal. Fiber can't be absorbed, so it supports to clear out the intestines by stimulating the bowels simultaneously. Contrary to it, kid’s nutrition loaded of greasy, sticky or sweet, or more carbohydrate foods can reduce the bowels regular and proper movements. When supplementing extra fiber to your kid's intake, gradually done several weeks but make assured your kid also takes more fluids.
Combining fiber meal or bran to natural or homemade fruit juices is another easy method to move fiber toward a child's nutrition.
3. Proper and every day's same routine of your child's meal.
Consumption or chewing is a normal and natural energizer for the intestines to function in a proper way, so normal meals may benefit children follow everyday bowel manners. You may plan your kid's breakfast a few minutes. This will give your child a possibility for a comfortable visit to the restroom before going to school.
4. Develop a habit of regular going to the bathroom.
Sometimes kids get scared to discharge poop in constipation. So developing the same routine of visiting bathroom every day or encourage your child to not neglect the desire to poop by making them comfortable or making them sit on the toilet seat or pot at least for 5 to 10 minutes (usually, after a having food) can effectively work to relieve their constipation.
5. Assure that your child performs adequate physical activities.
Physical exercise or movements bump the guts to function properly, so inspire your children to do lots of physical activities. Physical activities other than exercise can be playing indoor or outdoor games, riding bicycles, skating, playing instruments, etc.
Thus, these small yet effective adjustments encourage most kids to respond better and make the bowels function the method they should. Consult your child's doctor before providing your kid with any sort of any supplements or medicine for constipation.
Medical Diseases and Conditions That Cause Chronic Constipation in Babies and Children
Children or babies with constipation are examined oppositely of adults. The reason is that orders of bowel actions vary from the time they are produced until they enter the age of 2 or 4 years. Medical complications or disorders do not take place in most of the children with constipation. In some unusual cases, a bowel disturbance affects babies and kids to have medical difficulties moving their bowels.
Medical complications that provoke constipation.
• Hypothyroidism (an irregular function of the thyroid gland) is one of the main medical issues that give rise to crucial illnesses related with intestine. Hypothyroidism is an ailment that supports intestinal muscles to not function appropriately and provide roots to various different indications of illness.
It is recommended by many of the recognized govt. health institutions or centres that all infants must be examined through a blood test for hypothyroidism. This infirmity is usually analyzed in the beginning days of the baby's life. But it can take place at any duration or age.
• It has been proved that constipation in babies can occur since their birth. This is known as Hirschsprung's disease. In this uncommon inborn situation, a portion of the colon requires ganglion cells which are a kind of nerve cell. The damaged colon fails to accept commands from the mind (brain) to function accurately. In some cases of Hirschsprung's disease, babies show signs in the very beginning weeks of life.
• Diabetes is another medical obstacle correlated with constipation.
• Cystic fibrosis can also make kids more prone to constipation.
• Mental issues can also lead to constipation. Kids with complications of the nervous system like mental insanity, spinal cord issues and cerebral palsy show a severe chance of constipation as the child with a mental disability generally stay in one position for long hours or time, sense unusual colon change, which fails to regulate proper movements of bowels.